5.06.2010

CWHA Part 3 aka Fuck the Break Up... we Talkin Break In




Thursday... Today.
Arrive home...
just a day...
great day...
good meetings. missions accomplished, prepared for tomorrow...
and the sun still beams.
i walk up the flights of stairs to my home... open my door...
i mean... attempt to open my door
i start at the bottom lock.
success.
work on the top
challlllaaaaange
i retrace my unlockin method
fail
i look closer... see a gap between the lock and the... pocket?
so i pull the door closer to align and try again.
i cant pull it any closer... so i struggle turning the knob
fail.
i look around...
notice the paint is chipped.
fail to notice the paint is chipped due t the frame being pushed away from the wall it rests upon.
step back
look behind my back to the opposite side of the frame...
notice... the door looks lop sided.
step back
look more to my right
the drywall is cracked away from the door... i can see the bricks.
i panic.
my baby!
My SAMPS!
i run to the back to get to my back door.
panic.
if i see a bloody dog laid out on my floor i can't take it.
My door is fine. locked as it was from the morning.
across the porch the other door is cracked from my old tenant's home.
i dot really register that.
run in... look for samps... calling his name hoping to hear his scamper.
he's in his crate... shaking.
he's alive. he's here. he's scared.
i'm scared.
i pick him up. hold him. stare at my door.
holding him we walk through the house.
nothing's taken.
(he) didn't make it in.
thank you.
thank you.
i make calls.
can i mention T-mobile not tryna let my life be great?
or even safe for that matter as of late?
I make calls
my landlord.
something clicks...
she mentioned no one's been in the vacant apartment...
there aren't even plans to begin its rehab yet.
that door was cracked.
thank you for CSI balls...
i kicked the door open...
look down and there's the crobar.
look at the door...
there's marks of forced entry(yaye CSI jargon)
i walk through... empty as ever. the door is unlocked.
again i know not to touch anything...
i walk back out from whence i came...
call my landlord...
comes the police...
they trace the steps of what's been seen
we notice there are no marks of any kind on my door...
only the ring around my peep hole is on the floor. I learned that...
they clip that off to see better in apartments...
they attack upper floors before lower floors... because no one thinks to look up.
this person jumped a fence or was welcomed in another way to approach the rear of my building...
attack this unit.
started in the vacant and see it's vacant attempts to come for mine... but the door was reinforced...
or something stopped him...
he may have even taken the stairs towards the front entrance
to appear unsuspicious.
was it the mail carrier's arrival? another tenant/samps barking or whining? that made him stop?
the damage that was done... he could've completed the job and had a field day.
I learned.
i need apartment insurance. now.
Chicago, you're making me lose faith in you.
The devil... or something's after all weak.
Something's after those that are moving alert and resilient on their paths...
something is trying to get near me.
I wont be knocked off.

Tomorrow
doors frames and drywall, doors, locks and keys will be replaced.
Cameras will be brought in.
Do i feel any safer to stay here once my lease ends in June?
I don't know.

3 comments:

  1. wow. that's a scary feeling. i'm sorry that happened, but glad that everything (and life) was okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you weren't home. That's frightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stay in the city, move elsewhere and I'll come be your neighbor :)

    ReplyDelete