7.09.2010

Dear BF

30 Day Challenge- On this day you write a letter to:

Day 1 — Your best friend.

Best Friend,

we are amazing. even years we spent apart, growing up, our lives have parallelled phenomenally. Major relationships. Hair Trials. Discoveries. Careers. Unempolyment. Living on our own. Pets. Plans. Thoughts. i didn't think i'd find you. Being pretty much an only child and being "weird" it was the easiest to be friendly enough with friends and enjoy being alone even more.

2001. we're the black girls on our floor and the adventures we had together... wow. I was worried that I'd lose you when it was thought that i was after what you had. no no no. the drama surrounding that moment when all i wanted was peace and to survive freshmen year of college. I'm sorry i didn't tell you about his actions before. I thought they were silly things that boys did and since i knew what it was about I felt above it and felt the moment not worthy of mention.

You were my friend. throughout the many losses of that year. my dad, when all i did was sleep, eat grilled cheeses and avoid history class.

When i decided to leave Loyola I really thought i could trash everything that was apart of that experieence. I thought everything associated with the place was cursed. I thank you for staying even though you may have not known i wanted to push you and everything there, away.

Charon became a friend too... I think she may have wanted to cause a rift in our friendship by telling me hurtful things that were supposedly said, me being a man stealer and the like coming from you. I chose not to trust those words, because the way you still kept in contact with me. and again figured if there was ever a problem, issue or concern it will find its way to the surface... filter out who we would be for one another, whenever it needed to. There's a time and place for it all.

Years continue to pass... I don't think I saw you much during undergrad as we completed our paths.. talked, yes... did we see each other? Me no know...

Graduation happens for us both on different timelines... trips, jobs, etc later... we FINALLY reunite and hang in spurts. I love that beats weren't skipped. Again, that our lives were in tune while disjointed at the same time. You, my Ace Boon Coon(lol) gave me sanity when i took a plunge as you had done for love and made my big move to LA. you gave me the perspective i needed when you knew me better than some others in knowing that it wasn't time to be the cheerleader for a relationship that wasn't supposed to be "it." now, maybe it was because you were experiencing some of the same... but shit, your ears, thoughts, support and the like-empowered me.

so... here we be... you are indeed my best. we know each other well... when to be present. when to fall back. when we're too much, when we're too little and we need "our" time. Its fun to share our friendship and the cool we evoke... but that can also be sensory overload and too much work for us to deal with at times. and i love that we land on the same page ALL the time when it comes to that.

I thank you for accepting everything about me. my silly. my ignorant. my clever. my caring and inconsiderate. my funny. my smart. my "wild" my... me.

Look, I love you and i hadn't planned on this being so long... but meh... read in spurts.

one decade down... uhm lets see how many decades we got in us before the big bye bye :)

No comments:

Post a Comment